I have not posted on this blog for a while now.
But I have excuses.
First, I have been working with my students on research projects. One study we found that 84% of the 29 college student/athletes are at high risk of obtaining a non-contact ACL Injury!
Also, my future business partner Chris McNamara and myself are starting a new business titled Evolution Athletics. We will have a great deal of services and product to offer the community. We will provide Felt, Orbea, and many other bikes, have a performance lab, a crossfit facility, multiple weight lifting platforms, lots of turf for drills and sled work to name just a few things. The website address will be www.evolutionathleticsnc.com and our facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evolution-Athletics-NC/1382791755301018
With this new venture we had to find a location that will be four miles north of Southern Pines on Highway 1 on a two acre lot next to the Sandhills Pet Resort. Then we had to get an engineer to do all the designs to code, get permits, obtain a bank loan, receive contractor bids, even talk with people who wanted to be share holders. These activities have taken a great deal of our time. As well, we have preordered lots of equipment. I have 40 plus bikes in my studio and in Chris’ garage is loaded with weight lifting equipment and rubber mats. We are actually bursting at the seams:)
Chris and myself also have been busy with continuing education actitivities. I completed the Westside Barbell Certification for Training Athletes and we just attended Pendlay Seminars (1&2). I have also been researching more effective methods in training endurance athletes. In as much, I have been studying low carb high fat performance nutrition strategies as well. I will touch more on this in a future blog post.
My 2105 Goals
1. Improve Mobility
2. Compete in NC State Olympic Lifting Championships
3. Qualify for the American Masters Olympic Lifting Championships
4. Compete in a few triathlons
1. I realize I need to improve my mobility after attending the Pendlay Seminars. When I perform the snatch and over head squat my knees are not tracking over my knees. Just as my students found in their study with college athletes, I too have faulty movement patterns which can lead to knee injury. Although I have fairly decent mobility for cycling and triathlon events (curled up like a grub worm on the bike) I want to be as healthy as possible as I continue to get older. So before my workouts I am doing a great deal of work on Sots presses, sitting in a paleochair position, and squatting with various devices to better enable me to sit deep.
2. I want to get stronger to improve my testosterone levels. At one time my T levels were dangerously low (94!, normal range is 300 to 1100). The doctor prescribed gels and then injections, but I was concerned when my blood pressure began rising. So, now I have changed my diet (more later) and incorporated strength training. During this switch towards strength training, I have found olympic lifting to be a get challenge with many rewards.
3. I also hope that I will be reinvigorated in 2015 to participate in some triathlons.
So here is my training so far for this week...
...Before every work out I perform a dynamic warmup (jumping jacks, arms circles, body squats, lunges, hip extensions, straight leg raises, pushups, torso rotations, and groiners), then Sots press work (with a band around waist across the sacrum and using kettlebells and pvc pipe) and paleo chairs.
8th/ Monday Active Recovery: After returning from the Pendlay Seminars I went for an easy 30 minute swim and then a 15 minute whirlpool. Needless to say my legs and especially my knees were really trashed... due to my faulty movement patterns.
9th/ Tuesday, Pulling Day (knees still trashed): Hang Power Snatch upto 70%, 10 singles, Hang Power Clean upto 80%, 10 singles. All efforts were completed with 60 second recovery., Then Negative Pull Ups 5 sets of 5 reps...with TUT (time under tension). Then a short swim, 10 minute easy swim, then 4 x 100 yards with paddles.
10th/ Wednesday, Pushing day (knees still sore): Snatch Grip Push Press upto 70%, 10 singles, Push Press upto 80%, 10 singles, Then Snatch Grip Strick Press TUT (3 sets of 10 reps).
11th/ Thursday, Light Squat day.... I will let you know how it goes:)
YOURS IN FUN AND FITNESS